Wednesday 16 May 2012

Back home in Wales

Where better to start my blog than with a short post about my weekend back at home, to the Land of My Fathers!

It was a long overdue trip home, with the husband in tow, back to sunny Cardiff. Yes I know that sounds unlikely but believe me, we got lucky and the sun shone all weekend, glorious.


The sun setting as we drove over the Severn Bridge; Croeso i Gymru


So the weekend was spent with my family, including little brother (I say 'little', he's actually 6'4" compared with my measly 5'8, plus he's almost 27 but regardless, he'll always be my little bro), sunny skies and delicious food - what more could I ask for eh?!

My mum has recently moved to the Pontcanna area of Cardiff which is a trendy little suberb just on the edge of the city centre so her and I spent Saturday mooching about Pontcanna whilst the hubbie was set to task putting together a flat pack wardrobe and my Dad played around with keys.....don't ask.

Two places worth a mention in the area:

Beti Biggs; Located on Romilly Crescent, selling all sorts of gorgeous homeware items as well as some very fancy toiletries, furniture and of course a stockist of the fabulous Annie Sloan furniture paint. Would be a good place for gifts too I reckon. And the owner Jan is just lovely.

Fish at 85; A fabulous fishmonger & seafood restaurant on Pontcanna Street. Choose from either the daily changing menu or, as hubbie and I did, let the experts talk you through the catch of the day counter and choose your piece of fish and how you'd like it cooked etc. We opted for the turbot with the Beurre Blanc sauce and I have to say, it was divine. As were each of the main courses that mum, dad & little brother chose (he wanted good old fish 'n' chips which wasn't on the menu but they were more than happy to oblige which made him very happy!) The house white wine was very gluggable and easy on the wallet and the desserts were too good to turn down, even though I'm trying to be good before holiday. Well, it was Saturday night after all. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable evening at the kind of place I would love to have near me. Thanks Fish at 85!





Sunday saw mum and I go for a run in Llandaff Fields (mum being almost 67, go mum!), then I popped over to Julia's new pad for a very quick catch up with a few of my girlfriends before finishing the weekend off with a Sunday roast at Dad's before hitting the dreaded M4 - undoutably the worst bit about a weekend back home.

I was disappointed on Saturday night that the husband wasn't up for a night out in town just the two of us (which so rarely happens) as, after a few wines at dinner, I was well up for more drinks and some partying but I have to say that come Sunday morning, I was glad he'd said no and my liver was more than slightly grateful. A boozy night out in Cardiff isn't for the faint hearted let me tell you....but that's a whole other post!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment