Monday 11 June 2012

Ceviche brings a little bit of Peru to London town

I've never been to Peru. I'd love to go to Peru. And now that I've been to Ceviche, I would REALLY LOVE to go to Peru. Forget the Inca trail, I'd just eat and drink for the duration. It's probably not wise though as I'd give myself liver failure from all the Pisco Sours I would inevitably consume. Man they are phenomenally good. And like rocket fuel.

But the Pisco Sours weren't the only good thing about Ceviche. Far from it. The food was delicious. I went for some chicken 'Tequenos' to start (thin fritters with a spicy chicken filling and a creamy chilli dip on the side) followed by 'Lomo Saltado', (a deliciously tender beef dish) and finished off with the 'Chocolate Physalis Volador' for dessert (gooey chocolate between two thin sugared cookies with a kind of gooseberry jam on the side for extra gluttony).

Given that the restaurant is named after one of Peru's most popular seafood dish, it went without saying there would be a variety of raw fish on the menu and indeed seabass ceviche is the very first dish on there but not being a fan of raw fish myself I left Manuela to sample that particular Peruvian speciality. She assured me that it was delicious and worthy of the restaurant having been named after it.

* Photo not my own but I forgot to take any photos to illustrate the Ceviche!
The only drawback I'd say is that the portions are a bit on the small side. Although the Lomo Saltado was delicious, I have to say I was a bit disappointed when they put it down in front of me as it was by no means a main meal size and the waiter suggested ordering two or three dishes off this part of the menu each. At around £13 a pop that soon adds up....

That said however, the beef melted in the mouth and I'd much rather have fewer really tasty hunks of meat than a plateful of tough chewy nonsense. So having had the chicken fritters, the beef and then the rich chocolate dessert, I was nicely full and ready for the rest of the evening's shenanigans!

Thankfully this new opening isn't following the 'no bookings policy' trend which I'm a bit bored of so we were able to get a last minute table rather than standing in a queue being jostled about for up to 2hrs and not really getting to do much catching up with my mates (blimey I sound old).

* Not my photo either!
Dinner was followed by more wine at the bar in the Soho Hotel...
Mmmmm, a delicious bottle of Sancerre


....and just to continue the theme of well and truly mixing our drinks, back on the cocktails at The Player!
Old school Pina Coladas slipping down nicely, whose choice were they?!
As always, a really fun night out with my Team Booze girlies and very glad we managed to get in to Ceviche thanks to Manuela. I'm just gutted we were one member down this time - missed you Lau.

I would recommend giving this place a try especially if you're a Peruvian cuisine virgin like I was!


Ceviche
17 Frith Street, Soho
Tel: 020 7292 2040

No comments:

Post a Comment