Thursday 12 July 2012

Calling all meat lovers; Pitt Cue Co.

Finally, on my fourth attempt, I managed to get through the sacred door of Pitt Cue Co., tucked away discreetly behind Carnaby Street, and got to experience the delights within.

Was it worth the persistence? Abso-bloody-lutely.

It opens for evening service at 6pm. Thankfully Poppy was able to get there half an hour early and join the inevitable queue but was pretty near the front so when the doors opened, we were swiftly shown to a table in their basement dining room.



It's absolutely tiny and initially feels pretty claustrophobic but you soon forget that once you’ve seen the menu.

Our cheerful waitress took us through it and without a doubt we were all up for the daily special; 'The Lardo Dog'. Now I appreciate that in the photo it just looks like a glorified hotdog but trust me, it was totally delicious – a meat lover’s dream.



The generous link sausage sat on a bed of scrumptious pulled pork and pickles, topped with tiny pieces of crispy pork crackling and, as the name suggests, a helping of Lardo thrown in for good measure. A heart attack on a plate you might say. All served in a toasted brioche hotdog bun and with spicy slaw on the side.

Doesn't look that big here right, but that beast was about 8 inches of deliciousness!

For £12 you can’t go wrong and we were amazed at how filling it was. That said, Poppy and I managed to squeeze in a Pimms Eton Mess for dessert between us. In fact we wolfed that down so quickly I didn’t even have time to take a photo!


Their turnaround is quick and having ordered our first drink at around 6.15, we'd eaten, paid up and were out of there by 7.30 and it did feel ever so slightly rushed but we went there knowing it was that type of eatery. It was worth every penny and now I understand why the queues get soooo looooooong for this place.


As we headed back upstairs to the small bar & waiting area, there was many a hungry punter looking longingly at the menu and I felt almost smug that at such an early hour, we were bellies full and off to carry on our girlie evening nearby.



Needless to say the queue snaked out of the door and up Newburgh Street. I was going to take a photo of the queue but that would have just been too smug of me so I just took a photo of the exterior instead!



If you’re planning on paying Pitt Cue Co a visit (and I strongly recommend you do), my advice is to go during the week and get there early to save yourself a long wait. I loved the Pitt Cue Co. Trailer I tried out on the Southbank recently but enjoyed the Soho diner even more. Totally delish. If only they had a reservations policy....


Pitt Cue Co.
1 Newburgh Street
W1F 7RB
www.pittcue.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment