Tuesday 3 July 2012

Weekend gluttony

This weekend kicked off with another trip to Morito with Clare, one of my oldest and dearest school friends who also lives near London but who I don’t see nearly enough of. She’d read my write up on Morito (yey, a reader!) and text me to say she was really keen to try it.


Oh dear...


So Friday evening we could be found at the counter munching our way through the menu, getting drunk on cava and fino cocktails and enjoying some very much needed catch up time together. Tummies filled, we moved on to the bar at Cotton’s a few doors down for more cocktails and shots then over to the Exmouth Tavern, a great little boozer at the start of Exmouth Market.




At the point at which I started talking about heading to a club, Clare realised if she didn't make a run for it, she was about to miss her last train and get in to all sorts of trouble (not to mention a hefty cab ride home!) so the damage wasn’t nearly as bad as it could have been with us two and we finished up before it got stupidly messy.


No rush to go home, oblivious of the time!


Saturday I awoke to the inevitable hangover and the husband looking less than pleased. So to appease him (and because I knew exactly what my hangover needed), I took him in to town for the day to make the most of the weekend sunshine and feed my hangover.


The view of the Shard from underneath at London Bridge station
One of my favourite places to eat on a Saturday has got to be Borough Market. I know it's touristy and expensive and often packed in there but it's a bit of a foodie institution in London nonetheless and only half an hour on the train to London Bridge for us so easy to get to.
I also love the South Bank as it's a melting pot of street performers, art installations, random street art and pop-ups all along that stretch of the river from London Bridge down to the London Eye, even more so at this time of year with the tourists out in their droves.



Pop-up Propstore outside the National


Enjoying the music and sunshine on the river


 


Part of the 'Play me, I'm Yours' festival, this young lad rocked up with his family, started playing and was absolutely incredible





Due to the aforementioned tourists and sunshine combination, Borough Market but was unsurprisingly heaving. However, there was somewhere further down the river I’d been hearing a lot about on twitter and wanted to try so we skipped lunch at Borough and made our way along the river until we reached the Pitt Cue Co Trailer located underneath the Hungerford Bridge.

Yummmm, what to choose?

See that scowl? Yep, I was starving




Mark’s patience was starting to wear thin by this point as I’d stopped to watch/read/photograph everything along the way and he was starving. So when we got there and I told him about the Pitt Cue 'Trailer Trash' burger I'd been reading about, he instantly perked up!

You see the 'trailer trash' burger is a lightly toasted buttery brioche bun filled with succulent and juicy pulled pork, pickles and…….wait for it………deep fried macaroni cheese. Sounds amazing but oh-so-dirty right?

We ordered two of those and two cocktails; I went for the Trailer Trash to match my burger which was tasty but really strong, like alcoholic cherry Coke, whilst Mark went for the rather rank Big Mac 'n' Rye which came with pickle juice. Euggh. In a drink? Really?

The burgers were delicious. We actually inhaled them, and, if I’m being honest, I could have easily gone a second round...








At £28 for two burgers and two small (albeit potent) cocktails, I thought it was a bit steep and the burger could definitely have had a bit more meat in it for £8 but still, both were delicious and hit the spot.

Food coma soon set in and all there was for it was to pass out in the sun in the jubilee gardens just under the London Eye.





Later on, we made our way slowly back to Borough Market, stopping for more treats on the way.


Fancy a Snog?

We decided against a cocktail in Roast as it was way too busy, but instead grabbed a Sangria and enjoyed the last of the afternoon sun then had a browse around what was left of the stalls.






We  ended up buying dinner at Neals Yard Dairy. They had in stock three out of five of the cheeses that we'd had as our wedding cake so we got a good chunk of each plus a few others to try.

My idea of heaven


Back at home and in our PJ's in front of the TV, dinner consisted of (lots of) cheese, biscuits, homemade chutney (homemade by someone else that is, not me), grapes and wine. Lush! Cue second food coma of the day.

Cheese, round #1


All in all a pretty gluttonous weekend but that is what weekends are for, right?!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment